I’ve had several people ask how I make my paintings. So I figured I’d break it down into some steps.
1. Sketches and a plan. I don’t always stick with a plan but the sketchbook is the birthplace of ideas.
2. Prep the canvas. I love this part. It’s mainly nonobjective and freeing. I work quickly adding the papers with gel medium and find my rhythm.
3. Paint. I’m still building up background, creating texture and movement. Also maintaining a sense of unity throughout.
4. Transfer or draw the image. I use paint or pencil to sketch the image on to the canvas.
5. Fill in and paint. I love creating deep, rich color using umber, purples or greens, and reds. I start the base with the darkest color (green) and then paint glazes over successive layers. It allows texture and color to peek through.
6. Now I just paint. Eliminating some background and covering the sides of the canvas. I will work with smaller and smaller brushes, picking out shapes, enhancing lines doing whatever I feel is necessary. I use acrylic glazing medium to complete the background allowing for the under-layers to show through.
There you have it, a small look into my process (at least for this painting 😊).
Peace and Love,